6 Things You Must Consider When Buying Refurbished Tech
There are many advantages that come with buying refurbished tech. If you’re looking to save money, purchasing refurbished or reconditioned items is a great way to do so. Not only does buying refurbished equipment save money, it also helps save the planet. However, there are a few things to take into consideration before you begin shopping to ensure you’re getting the best bang for your buck as well as choosing a reputable source. Here’s our list of tips to help you know what to look for before you make your next big purchase.
- Condition. When evaluating the cosmetic condition of a refurbished product, look for condition notes in the sales listing or when in-person, look for notes attached to the device itself. In most cases, the lower the price of the device, the rougher the condition is likely to be. Sites with refurbished tech use a grading system that can range from “Grade A” to “Grade D,” or “Fair,” “Good,” and “Excellent.” This system, helps consumers determine the quality of the refurbished device they’re purchasing. It’s important to get as many details as you can from the reseller. Always ask or check the listing to see if components such as the camera, speakers, WiFi/Bluetooth and external ports are all functioning.
- Open boxes. If you see” open-box” on a product, it means the packaging has been opened. With open-box devices, the items are usually new as opposed to reconditioned or refurbished. However, they could also be demo and display items from the store or items that have been returned after minimal use. A nice advantage to open-box items is the discounted price, but be wary of deeply discounted open-box products as it could indicate significant damage to the item.
- OS. Look for details about the operating system (OS) or software on the device. You’ll want to look to see which version of software or OS the device has been loaded with. Some older devices will not update to the newest version available. This doesn’t necessarily make it an inoperable device; however, you may not be able to download certain applications. You’ll want to make sure whatever device you are purchasing will be able to meet all your needs.
- How good is the reseller? Always do your due diligence by researching the device and its reseller before you buy. Start by checking the reseller’s listings, reviews and ratings. If they are bad, low or have no reviews or ratings, it is best that you shop for your refurbished tech elsewhere. A good rule of thumb is to check and see how long the reseller has been in business, especially if buying online. If it has been at least a year, they are likely to be a more trustworthy source than those who have just created an account or are new to reselling. Regardless of ratings, reviews and account history, always be sure to do your research.
- Warranties & returns. While shopping for refurbished electronics, ask about the seller’s return policy and warranty. If your product happens to be defective or you notice missing pieces or key components, you’ll want to have the option to return or replace the item before the grace period lapses.
- Which company? When purchasing refurbished equipment, look for large, more reputable companies with strong sales histories and good reviews, ratings and feedback. CDR Global has been a trusted, top-rated reseller on eBay since 2005 with over 81,000 items sold and a 98.7% positive feedback rating. We live by our 100-point inspection. All of our refurbished equipment undergoes extensive testing before it arrives to you. We produce quality results and provide more attention to detail better than anyone––that’s the CDR difference.
All in all, refurbished products are great, budget- and environmentally friendly ways to snag new equipment, even if you’re not looking for the latest and greatest tech. Now that you’ve got the tools you need to make an informed decision that saves you money and reduces your carbon footprint, check out our online store and reach out to our team of experts with questions. We’re here to help.